YPO EDGE Debuts in Vancouver
By Heather Wiederhoeft, YPO
Business leaders from around the world are spending two days learning from more than 50 renowned speakers at the YPO EDGE in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada — hosted for the first time in Western Canada.
YPO Chairman 2016-2017 McKeel Hagerty encouraged the sold-out crowd of more than 2,600 leaders to “give this time to yourself to learn and grow and make connections with people from around the world who have gathered here in Vancouver.”
YPO EDGE Chair Larry Bond opened the day’s programming sharing an historic view of the industrial revolutions of the past and encouraging the audience’s leaders to embrace the Fourth Industrial Revolution as possibly the most impactful one yet.
“Every industry has been impacted by the incredible pace of recent change — from technology and entertainment to transportation and medicine” said Bond. “These next two days will be filled with fresh ideas and visionary leaders and heartfelt stories. We hope that you are inspired and moved by the people that you will hear and meet over the next two days and leave ready to join those disruptors and innovators by taking your own personal moonshot!”
The fast-paced morning challenged members to ruminate on speakers’ topics ranging from artificial intelligence, cleaning up the oceans and mental health to cybersecurity, personal transformations and using social media to promote global connectedness. Speakers included:
- Doug Belgrad, Producer and Founder, 2.0 Entertainment
- John Chambers, Executive Chairman of the Board, Cisco Systems
- Jim Clemente, Former FBI Supervisory Special Agent and Writer-Producer of “Criminal Minds”
- Jared Cohen, Author and Technology Executive
- Chip Conley, Former Head of Global Hospitality and Strategy,
- Andre-Philippe Gagnon, Impressionist and Singer
- Dean Kamen, Founder, DEKA Research & Development Corporation
- Peter Lowy, Co-CEO, Westfield Corporation
- Taps Mugazda, Musician
- Luc Robitaille, President of Business Operations and Alternate Governor, Los Angeles Kings
- Geordie Rose, Ph.D., Founder and CEO, Kindred AI
- JD Roth, Founder, 3 Ball Entertainment
- William Shatner, Actor and Author
- Justin Sheffield, Retired Navy Senior Chief, Sniper Team Leader; Board Member, Renovating Hope; Co-Owner, American Revolution Vodka
- Boyen Slat, Founder and CEO, The Ocean Cleanup
- Brandon Soleau, Retired Army Sergeant, 1st Ranger Battalion; President, All Eagles Oscar Foundation
- Stephen Smith, Ph.D., Executive Director, USC Shoah Foundation
- Margaret Trudeau, Author and Mental Health Advocate
- James Woolsey Jr., Former Director of Central Intelligence Agency
- Nadav Zafrir, Co-Founder and CEO, Team8
FACULTY TO GLOBAL LEADERS
New to the 2017 YPO EDGE were presentations from YPO’s Faculty to Global Leaders program, which connects professors from the world’s leading academic institutions with YPO members. Speakers and topics included:
- The CEO of the Future: YPO Member Andrew White, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Executive Education and Corporate Relations, Said Business School, University of Oxford
- Decision-Making With Analytics: Yuri Levi, Ph.D.: Professor and Stephen J.R. Smith Chair of Analytics; Director, Master of Management Analytics; Director, Scotiabank Centre for Customer Analytics, Queen’s University Smith School of Business
- FIRST Things First: Inspiring the Inventors of Tomorrow: Dean Kamen, Founder, DEKA Research & Development Corporation, Founder, FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology)
- The Future of 3-D Bio-Printing Organs for Transplants: Adam Feinberg, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Material Science & Engineering, Carnegie Melon University
- Great by Choice: Leading in a Disruptive World: Morton Hansen, Ph.D., Professor at University of California, Berkeley Haas Business School
- New Business Opportunities Enabled by Emerging Digital Technologies: Jeffrey Rayport, Ph.D., MBA Class of 1960 Senior Lecturer of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
- Turn Foes Into Friends and Conflict Into Nonflict: The Art and Science of Conflict Resolution: Stephen Hecht, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Peacemaker, Million Peacemakers, with Adam Galinsky, Ph.D., Chair of the Management Division, Columbia Business School
- What I Learned from Setting a USD70,000 Minimum Wage: YPO member Dan Price, CEO and Founder of Gravity Payments, with Michael Norton, Ph.D., Harold M. Brierley Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business Administration
YPO EDGE continues on Friday with a host of thought leaders and a special presentation from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
CNBC BROADCASTS LIVE FROM THE EDGE
For the seventh year in a row, CNBC is broadcasting live from YPO EDGE, with onsite reporters Tyler Mathisen, Co-anchor of “Power Lunch” and “Nightly Business Review,” and Technology Reporter Deirdre Bosa. Today, Mathisen hosted “Power Lunch” live from Vancouver.
Visit CNBC for full coverage from YPO EDGE, including interviews with Cisco’s John Chambers and YPO member Ziv Aviram of MobileEye.